The BAC+AIAS Present
'LET’S SPOON' @FORUM
A Section Cut Workshop
What kind of spoon are you ?
Section Cut invites AIAS Forum workshop attendees to engage in a concept-to-production workflow utilizing both digital and hand making tools. Armed with these skills, we’ll craft novel, functional, and beautiful hand held objects. Each attendee will be assigned a ‘character’ to translate into a design iteration of a spoon.
In the BAC Fab Lab, students will receive safety training for both digital fabrication and hand-crafting processes. Participants will sketch and iterate their designs, translate outputs digitally to a CNC cut file, and refine their creations with shop equipment and hand sanding. This workshop will arm participants with the knowledge and confidence to continue their academic careers as makers.
When, Where, & Who?
- January 1st, 2017| 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Meet @ 320 Newbury Street 4th floor, room 401.
- SC representatives: Kyle Sturgeon, Dan Weissman
- BAC FabLab Staff: David Morgan, Christian Borger, Sean Riley
WHAT TO BRING
What you'll need to rock this workshop!
- Proper attire (good shoes, bad clothes, no loose jewelry, hair up!)
- Sketchbook, trace, your favorite drawing & measuring tools
- (optional) Laptop running in windows with Rhino 3D
- (optional) Digital camera and/or smartphone (for documentation!)
Our roadmap for the day!
10:00am – 10:20pm
- Spoon Mini-lecture
10:20am – 12:00pm
- Participants are assigned an ‘attitude’ and a 'spoon block'
- napkin sketching and conversation
- Rhino bootcamp & CNC toolpath prep
- Submit a CNC toolpath to Sean Riley for cutting
12:00pm – 12:45pm
- Equipment safety session & hand carving demo (Basement Woodshop)
1:00pm – 1:15pm
- Grab a slice and get ready to rumble!
- All cuts will be available by 1:00pm
1:00pm – 3:30pm
CUT, CARVE, SAND & DRILL
- Distribution of spoon blocks
- Initial band saw cuts, and rough sanding
- Additional sanding and shaping by hand
3:30pm – 4pm
- Seal spoons and set aside to dry for one hour
- Tag your spoon with name and 'attitude' for display
4PM WORKSHOP END
7:30 - 9:30pm
AIAS REVOLUTION RECEPTION/SPOON SESSION
- Share your creation and take photographs! (BAC 1st Floor Lobby)