'LET’S SPOON' WKSHP#2!
02.13.16 - RSVP is CLOSED
What's in a spoon?
The Boston Architectural College Fab Lab crew continues its ongoing 'Let’s Spoon!' campaign - teaming up with Section Cut for another edition of this popular one-day intensive workshop. In this session, students will be introduced to a concept-to-production workflow and new making tools that led to the crafting of beautiful, functional, hand held objects. Let’s spoon!
To kick off the day, each student will be assigned a ‘character’ to translate into a design iteration. Utilizing a CNC router, the newly renovated BAC Shop, and our 3D scanner, students will be given safety training for both digital fabrication and hand-crafting processes. Students will sketch and iterate their designs and translate digitally to a CNC cut file, then refine the tool with shop equipment and hand sanding.
The goal of this workshop is to arm students with the knowledge and confidence to continue their academic careers as makers, and make a beautiful object! Successful completion of this project will satisfy Architectural Sketch Problem 3 (if enrolled in SKA-3 this semester)! RSVP, ASAP, as we are limited to 16 participants!
When, Where Who?
- February 13rd | 9:00am - 6:00pm
- @320 Newbury Lab Rm 401, then CNC Lab and woodshop
- SC representatives: Kyle Sturgeon, Dan Weissman
- FabLab Staff: David Morgan, Christian Borger, Sean Riley
WHAT TO BRING
What you'll need to rock this workshop!
- Proper attire (good shoes, bad clothes, no loose jewelry, hair up!)
- Sketchbook, trace, your favorite drawing & measuring tools
- (optional) Laptop running in windows with Rhino 3D
- (optional) Digital camera and/or smartphone (for documentation!)
Our roadmap for the day!
9:15am – 10:00am
- Section Cut Intro/review of workshop format
- DM, SR, CB Spoon Min-lecture
10:00am – 11:30am
DESIGN: Spoon Characters & Design Sketches
- Students are assigned ‘characters’ and base templates
- Group sketching and conversational crits
11:30am – 1:00pm
ORIENTATION: Materials & Methods Warm Up
- The Group is split into teams A and B for two 45 minute sessions.
- A: Equipment safety session & hand carving demo (Woodshop)
- B: Rhino help & CNC toolpath prep (Lab 401)
TOOLPATH DEADLINE & LUNCH!
- Submit a CNC toolpath to Sean Riley for Cutting
- Pizza & drinks provided by KS (Basement breakout spaces)
1:30pm – 3:30pm
CUT, CARVE, INNOVATE
- CNC operation and distribution of spoon blocks.
- Initial bandsaw cuts, and rough sanding
3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Additional sanding and shaping by hand.
- Seal final spoon and set to dry.
- Optional 3D scanning orientation by request.
- Meet to share their creations and take photographs! (2nd floor Loft)
- Staff Party @ Dillon’s (join us!)